web analytics
RSS
ClickBank1
ClickBank1

Let’s Write Better Taglines!

Almost two years ago, quite by accident, I happened to stumble into a tagline writing free-for-all on Copyblogger.  (As you might know, I hang out there a lot. Especially if you’re a fan of my Copywriting Maven Landing Page Makeover Series — and I hope you are.)

It was a lot of fun and the creativity was fast-flowing not only from me, but from everyone who joined in.

That one serendipitous “How to Create A Rock-Solid Tagline That Truly Works” post still gets a lot of traffic two years later. So it got me wondering …

Why not create a simple little blog where online marketers, solopreneurs and small business owners could submit their rough taglines and ask the “wisdom of the crowd” to help them sharpen the language and fine-tune the message.

Why not indeed?

So here’s how it will work, at least for now. (I may tweak this a bit more later. Maybe a weekly or even daily tagline review.) :

• Submit your tagline by adding a comment below.
  • Invite your friends, fans and relatives to offer their suggestions as a comment on the comment.
  • Sit back and watch the fun.

I’ll add my own nickel’s worth from time to time — perhaps other blog “A-listers”, too — but I really want this to be a crowdsourced effort.

There’s no cost to submit or comment. No $$$ to be made. Your only requirement is to be helpful, respectful and have fun. Your only reward is a warm feeling knowing you’ve helped out a fellow (or sister) netizen.

So who’d like to go first?

20 Responses to “Let’s Write Better Taglines!”

1. KimX says:

I must say you have very interesting articles here. Your content can go viral.
    You need initial traffic only. How to get massive traffic?
    Search for: Murgrabia’s tools go viral
    KimX recently posted..KimX

2. deadlinedom says:

visit http://gothink.ca/promo
    Nous sommes une entreprise basée à Montreal & Toronto et nous offrons des services de qualité à prix très abordable.

Nos services incluent :
    Création de sites web de tous genres
    gestion de sites web existants
    Création graphique (logos/cartes d’affaires/menus restos etc)
    Hébergement etc.

Nous offrons l’hébergement et le domaine gratuit pour un an avec toute entente de service.

Contactez nous pour savoir comment nous pouvons vous aider.

We are a Toronto & Montreal based business working in Web Development / Graphic Design & Online Marketing.
    We offer services of quality at an affordable price.

Our services include:

Website creation

Blogs and personnal pages (WordPress, Joomla and others)

Online shops

Graphic solutions :

Logos
    Business cards
    Flyers
    Catalogs
    Restaurant menus
    along with others.

We do Social marketing and search engine optimization

We offer a free 1 year hosting with any website creation.

We can also manage/keep your website up-to-date.

Contact us for more informations, a free and fast quote or to take an appointment.

Thanks.

3. Zac says:

I see you don’t use the power of social websites like FB on your website.
    You can get huge traffic from social sites on autopilot using one useful tool,
    for more info search in google for:
    Alufi’s Social Automation
    Zac recently posted..Zac

4. A motivating discussion is definitely worth comment. There’s no doubt that that you need to publish more on this subject, it might not be a taboo subject but usually people don’t speak about these subjects.
    To the next! Kind regards!!
    honda cbr600rr fairing bolts recently posted..honda cbr600rr fairing bolts

5. Kelly Murphy says:

John,
    Would LOVE a reply to my email!!
    Thanks,
    Kelly

6. John says:

Hi, I’m in the process of setting up a new clinical hypnotherapy business, supported by a brand new website/blog. I needed a theme or tag-line for the business, and came upon this site – very timely!

I was looking for a tag-line that reflected the overall concept of hypnosis, as an instrument for behavioural change. Several iterations later and I came up with this one.

“Helping you Make changes for good”

Will this help generate some business – or just groans?
    Thanks

7. Dianne says:

I am starting a new travel company focused on experiential travel for small groups of like-minded people. The tagline that I’ve come up with so far is “Engaging travel experiences”. Too boring?

8. Ann Martin says:

Hi
    I need your help! I’m revamping my brand and I’m requiring a new tagline. I make exquisite, original, well made childrens clothing.

My business name is: 1 Puddle Lane

My current tagline is: home of cute kids clothes

I would love some feedback as it’s driving me crazy trying to think of a better tagline.

Many thanks.

x Ann

9. Hi! Don’t know if it is too late to ask for help but will give it a go. I am starting a new blog and with the focus on a minimalistic life ,frugal and simple living & tips,
    easy ways to declutter,
    organize, decorate, diy,
    save money, etc. I thought of .. finding ways to reclaim, repurpose, or reduce. Finding ways to let go of the things that hold us back to give life more meaning…. for a tagline..
    Any help would be great!

10. Lisa Henderson says:

I’m starting a real estate company specializing in reduced real estate commissions by offering customers the chance to choose the services they need and want.

Company name – Realty by Design
    Tagline – Creating change so you can save some

What do you think?

11. Anna Servati says:

Would love some help with a tagline. I create unique, mostly one-of-a-kind jewlery.

Currently tagline:
    Unique, affordable jewelry for those that appreciate handmade and want to feel special.

Too long? Doesn’t really have any zip. Any suggestions? Thanks.

12. Jeff says:

Great timing! Just came from the Copyblogger post and glad I read all the way to the bottom. I am starting a style and fashion blog for men and could use feedback.

Continuing the theme…

Problem: Fashion/style advice resources are usually either snarky and seem to be only written for people who live in New York.
    Solution: Style tips that normal people (not the extremely rich) will actually use, with straightforward explanations.
    Target: Mostly urban young men who won’t really wear suits every day unless it’s for work.

Tagline: Practical style tips for the modern man.

Thanks!

• roberta says:

Hi Jeff – I like your basic tag. I think I’d tweak it a little this way:

Practical, Affordable Style for the Smart Dressed Man

• Doug Kessler says:

For the fashion site, it helps to know the brand name that the tagline will work under, but how about some simple lines that make guys feel okay about thinking about this stuff:

Lookin’ good.

Style for the rest of us.

Style for guys.

The well-styled dude.

Fashion without fuss.

Smart style.

Make an effort.

Look the part.

13. roberta says:

Hey, Donna … I see ‘nurture the world’ as a hands-on, get your fingers dirty direct extension of spirit. If that’s not what you’re going for, I’d focus more on the ‘interior work’ of spirituality.

Nourish your spirit and watch the world bloom.

14. Perfect timing. I just sent out a request to our editors for a new tag line for TIFERET: A Journal of Spiritual Literature.

We’ve come up with

Literature to Nourish your Spirit & Nurture the World

Need help! TIFERET offers poetry and prose from a variety of religious traditions…